Customizing the SharePoint 2007 Search using a little bit of JQuery

On a SharePoint site we got an issue where we had to let the user be able to search for the last five digits in the phone number. Why? Because the users will only se the last five digits on their phone when somone calls in. The complete number (8 digits) is registered in the profile (imported directly from Active Directory. It also complicated matters that we are running Ontollica Wildcard search (the free edition). Ontollica is a good tool, but it it's not simple to customize, and now I had to make Ontollica Search Web parts and standard SharePoint Search web parts work together.

I used the following JQuery script (in a Content Editor Web Part). It picks up the etnered five digit number add the possible prefixes to the entered number, build up the correct query including managed properties, and redirects the user back to the same page.

No comments: