2008-04-08

Sign in as different user command in SharePoint 2007 may get you into trouble

Please be aware of the following issues when implementing a SharePoint 2007 portal and having the "Sign in as a different user" available (that is the standard).

In the examples below user A is physically logged in on the computer while B is not.:
  1. Accessing My Site. If you have a setup where you have all the My Sites on a separat web application (e.g. on a different port) and your main portal standard port 80 the "Sign in as addiferent user will" NOT work accross those two web applications. Sign in as user B (from the SharePoint Sign in ... command) and then click on My Site. Who's My Site did you get to? A or B? I guess you where hoping for B, but that is wrong.
  2. Editing documents will give you the same issues. Sign in as user B, find a document library where user B should not have Contribute rights to. Open a document, change it, and then do a Save As back to the same library. No errors! What!??!

Anybody else having issues with the "Sign in as different user" command?

9 comments:

Nagesh said...

I am getting HTTP 500 error while trying to sign in as a different user on a site page... My id has all permissions but I can not get to the site this way on a different client pc while he logged in already. Neither logout works... please advise.

Anonymous said...

I am having the same issue with my sites.

Have you found a solution to them?

Charlie said...

I have the same issue. Have you found a solution? This is driving me insane.

Wahyu said...

I have the same problem with you. Could you tell me how to solve this issue? Thanks and I appreciate it.

Frode Sørhøy, Avenir, Bergen, Norway said...

No, I've not found a solution to this. I was hoping somebody "out there" had :-)

Frode

frankiestainless said...

Hy guys, I found a possible flaw regarding the Sessions, and that may be the cause of your problem.

When you do a "Login as different user" the HttpSessionState remains the same, with same keys and same values. So if some server side code resides on values stored in the session, it will get values pertaining to the old user.

Subhash said...

what can be done to overcome this problem??

Subhash said...

How to overcome this??

Anonymous said...

loppnwngj [url=http://tiny.cc/getafreeiphone]Get Free iPhone 4[/url] wuxSiytsyzxc