2007-07-02

Do not change the owner of a My Site Site Collection in SharePoint 2007

If you change the owner of a My Site Site Collection for a user's (User A) My Site you will, if you put yourself as the owner, be able to administer that user's My Site, but it will also have a very nasty side effect:

If someone click on the User A in, for example, a contact web part they will be taken to YOUR MY SITE and NOT User A's My Site.

Why would i change the owner of User A's My Site in the first place? To be able to have more control and reduce the operations available to User A in his/her My Site.

This is, I guess, by design, but to me it seems to be a strange combination regular program funcionality and security ....

3 comments:

Dov said...

Use a "neutral" signon. When I administer the site collection, I do not use my own credentials, but a special credential such as "SPAdmin".

Dov said...

Use a "neutral" identity. I administer my company site under the account of "SPAdmin" and he has no real data.

Dov said...

Use a "neutral" signon. When I administer the site collection, I do not use my own credentials, but a special credential such as "SPAdmin".